Saturday, March 8, 2008

Food for thought....

During my recent Thyroid Cancer research binge :) I found alot of new terms and "lingo". Many I had already heard form the dr, but had to go back and get more info on as our appointment is just a blur in my thoughts now after everything thats happened in the past 2 weeks.

I thought I would share as it can get confusing...Hyper, Hypo, T-3, T-4....I am trying to sort it all out myself. I have added the info from the NCI (National Cancer Institute) and also my own notes from drs and what not, and how it pertains to me.

National Cancer Institute:
The American Cancer Society estimates that 33,550 men and women (8,070 men and 25,480 women) will be diagnosed with and 1,530 men and women will die of cancer of the thyroid in 20071.

thyroid - (THY-royd) A gland located beneath the voice box (larynx) that makes thyroid hormone and calcitonin. The thyroid helps regulate growth and metabolism.

thyroid hormone - (THY-royd HOR-mone) A hormone that affects heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, and weight. Thyroid hormone is made by the thyroid gland and can also be made in the laboratory.

thyroid cancer - (THY-royd KAN-ser) Cancer that forms in the thyroid gland (an organ at the base of the throat that makes hormones that help control heart rate, blood pressure, body temperature, and weight). Four main types of thyroid cancer are papillary, follicular, medullary, and anaplastic thyroid cancer. The four types are based on how the cancer cells look under a microscope.

papillary thyroid cancer - (PA-pih-LAYR-ee THY-royd KAN-ser) Cancer that forms in follicular cells in the thyroid and grows in small finger-like shapes. It grows slowly, is more common in women than in men, and often occurs before age 45. It is the most common type of thyroid cancer.
(Believed to be my type of Thyroid Cancer. This will be confirmed after surgery.)

thyroidectomy - (THY-roy-DEK-toh-mee) Surgery to remove part or all of the thyroid.
(A total thyroidectomy will be done on Tueday the 11th.)

hyperthyroidism (HY-per-THY-ROY-dih-zum) Too much thyroid hormone. Symptoms include weight loss, chest pain, cramps, diarrhea, and nervousness. Also called overactive thyroid.

hypothyroidism (HY-poh-THY-ROY-dih-zum) Too little thyroid hormone. Symptoms include weight gain, constipation, dry skin, and sensitivity to the cold. Also called underactive thyroid.
(This is the one I will be feeling the efects of after surgery and if off the medication I will be on for well...ever. )

T-3- A thyroid hormone. Also called triiodothyronine.
(I will be on this medication after my surger and for about 3-4 weeks until I get ready for my radioactive treatment.)

T-4 -A hormone that is made by the thyroid gland and contains iodine. T4 increases the rate of chemical reactions in cells and helps control growth and development. T4 can also be made in the laboratory and is used to treat thyroid disorders. Also called thyroxine, L-3,5,5’-tetraiodothyronine, and thyroxin.
(Medication I will be on after my treatment and for life.)

Thyrogen - A form of thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) that is made in the laboratory. It is used to test for remaining or recurring cancer cells in patients who have been treated for thyroid cancer. Also called thyrotropin alfa.

thyroglobulin (THY-roh-GLOB-yoo-lin) The form that thyroid hormone takes when stored in the cells of the thyroid. If the thyroid has been removed, thyroglobulin should not show up on a blood test. Doctors measure thyroglobulin level in blood to detect thyroid cancer cells that remain in the body after treatment.

radioactive iodine (RAY-dee-oh-AK-tiv I-oh-dine) A radioactive form of iodine, often used for imaging tests or to treat an overactive thyroid, thyroid cancer, and certain other cancers. For imaging tests, the patient takes a small dose of radioactive iodine that collects in thyroid cells and certain kinds of tumors and can be detected by a scanner. To treat thyroid cancer, the patient takes a large dose of radioactive iodine, which kills thyroid cells. Radioactive iodine is also used in internal radiation therapy for prostate cancer, intraocular (eye) melanoma, and carcinoid tumors. Radioactive iodine is given by mouth as a liquid or in capsules, by infusion, or sealed in seeds, which are placed in or near the tumor to kill cancer cells.
(Likely will happen 6-8 weeks after surgery)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck tomorrow! I'll be thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Kristen,

You have the thoughts and prayers of my family and my entire church!
I think you're handling this with amazing grace and dignity, and even though I can't be there in person, I'm there with you in spirit.

Love,
Leigha