So I didn't get a chance to post more last night as I was exhausted, emotionally and physically. So here are the details:
The relay was at Kent Meridian High Schools football field (French Field) it was weird being back there. I had not stepped foot on that track since my Sr. year back in 1997! I went to school at "KM" as we call it for 3 years, and graduated from KM in 1997. It was odd to be back, and weird to be back for this particular reason "CANCER!" you never want to feel that "grown up" but cancer is not just for grown ups. :( So sad to see kids as young as 4 there with survivor shirts on. Just so sad.
So when I arrived they were just starting the "Survivor" lap. I got to join in as technically I am a survivor of this cancer. Its weird to think that as I will be dealing with.....living with this for the rest of my life. Just hopefully NOT THE CANCER, just the remnants of when I had it I guess I should say. If that makes any sense.
We started walking right away, they have a bucket of paperclips at one end of the track, so when you go around each time you take one. You display them by clipping them together, on your shirt, collar, as a necklace, I saw many different ways. It shows how many laps you have done. I arrived at 6:30 left at 11pm and I had done 4 laps!!! YAY ME!! :/ Not bad for not even being able to walk just 3 weeks ago!!!
I would do 1-2 laps then rest in our "tent" area. Then jump back in and do another 1-2 laps. My friend GAIL has over 20 clips when I had left! WAY TO GO GAIL! She was going to do alot of walking. She rocks!
There was fund-raising events going on on the field, bake sales, clothing sales, jewelry sales you name it. All to raise money for The American Cancer Society!
At 10pm they turned off the field lights and all the bags had been lighted and we took part in a powerful ceremony to honor those who have lost there fight, those who fought cancer and those who are still fighting. It was pretty amazing. Walking around the track in the dark with messages on the bags, some saying "I miss you mom!" and others with pictures of children on them. It was just so so moving!
I left around 11 as I had to get home to my kiddos, James had to work this morning. With as much time as he took off for my treatment he couldn't take anymore time off work. But next year we will be helping head up our own team called "Green Angels!" as it will consist of many girl scout moms, volunteers and hopefully girls themselves walking for the cause! We are in the process of working out all the details for next year so more info to come! I am excited it will be alot of fun to get even more people I know together for a great cause!!!
Ok kids are sleeping and I need to go rest, I am pooped!!
Thank you again to everyone who donated to this great great cause!!
No comments:
Post a Comment