Dear Friends and Family,
Before my journey with cancer started I was asked if I wanted to participate in Relay for Life in Kent this year (At Kent Meridian High School) to help support a team who was walking and raising money for the American Cancer Society. This team was made up of family and friends of an amazing 8 year old cancer survivor named Madeline. Yes just 8 years old!!!
Also I had another reason to want to participate, just a few months ago cancer touched my family's life all to close. Anne, a very close friend of the family was diagnosed with cancer. She is currently fighting her cancer and I wanted to walk as well for her.
At the time I didn't know if I would be able to participate. I had been so tired and spending 24 hours at this event, walking and staying overnight would have been yes for a great cause but exhausting for me, more than normal.
Little did I know this was actually a symptom (Lethargic, tired and feeling weak) I had been feeling from my own cancer. Thyroid Cancer. I was diagnosed at the end of February a little over 2 months ago. I have now completed a total Thyroidectomy, Radioactive Iodine Treatment and a hand full of tests, scans and now starting the medication I will be on for the rest of my life. I am just now starting to feel better and like I can have my life back. But I will always be reminded of this time in my life. If I never again have to deal with the cancer returning I will be reminded daily when I take my pill and see the red 4 inch scar on my neck, every 3 months, then 6, then yearly when I go for my tests and blood work to make sure its not come back....and I am one of the lucky ones.
So its with three great reasons (one for our 8 year old friend Madeline mentioned above,my friend Anne, and one for me!) that I am honored to join this team in walking May 30th-31st in Kent.
Please see my message below for more info and how you can support this amazing cause.
Thank you so much,
Kristen
Click here to visit my personal page and learn more about how you can help!!!!!!
Can you believe that more than 1.3 million new cancer cases are expected to be diagnosed in the United States this year? Those are staggering statistics, but there is hope. Each of us can do something to save lives and help those already fighting this disease. That's why I've decided to take action against cancer by supporting the American Cancer Society Relay For Life® event right here in my community.
Relay For Life is an overnight event that brings our community together to help support the American Cancer Society and its lifesaving mission to eliminate cancer as a major health problem. The Society works hard every day to prevent cancer and save lives by supporting groundbreaking research, affecting public policies that protect us from cancer, and educating people on how to prevent or detect cancer early. The Society helps people with cancer right here in our own community. And our efforts at Relay For Life can help the American Cancer Society to keep working toward a cancer-free future.
I want to invite you to show your support in the ongoing fight against cancer by joining us for this year's event. Please click on the link below for more information, including details on the inspirational Survivors' Lap and the moving Luminaria Ceremony. We hope to see you there! If you can't join us, will you please visit the site and make a donation to support our efforts? Either way, you will make a real difference in the lives of people facing cancer and in the lives of the people who love them. Thank you!
For state fundraising notices and the American Cancer Society's Privacy Policy, please paste this link into your browser: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/SU/su_0.asp
Click here to visit my personal page and learn more about how you can help!!!!
Click here to view the team page for Madeline's Marauders
No comments:
Post a Comment