I had my appointment with the Nuclear Dr yesterday. Sorry for the delay getting this information posted. With going off my medication tomorrow I am trying to get things settled around the house so if I am not feeling well there is not AS much to do for other and myself.
So the appointment was pretty uneventful. He explained more to me about everything I will be doing from now till after the treatment. Here is some of that info.
Starting tomorrow I will stop my T3 medication that I have been taking. This will cause me to go into a Hypothyroid state until I go back on my medication. He said for many this is a very unpleasant, more so than the treatment its self. So we will see.
I then start the Low Iodine Diet next week. That will add to my already "Sluggish" and "lethargic" state from the lack of hormone in my system. The reason for the LID is to somewhat starve my body of iodine (which the Thyroid takes from foods and absorbs it) so that when I take the radioactive iodine pill my body sucks it all in as its been STARVING for it as long as I have been on the LID. This will in turn allow the radiation to go right to the source, any left over Thyroid and Tissue and kill it....and in hopes killing any chances of cancer and or cancer returning!!!
Next I will go to get a blood draw on the 29th of April and this will tell the drs of I am in a Hypothyroid State, enough so to do the treatment. Fingers Crossed!!
May 2nd then I will go to Swedish to take a small dose of the RAI (Radio Active Iodine) not enough to do anything outside of my body. But enough to "uptake" so that when I return...
May 5th, they can scan my body (takes about 45 minutes) and see where its gone to and how much of the REAL dose I should get. It kinda acts like a dye that will show them how much tissue and thyroid I have left, the more left the higher the dose will be to kill it off.
and after that I will go into isolation on the 12th (top) floor of Swedish hospital until the 7th. This is the 1 of the changes so far as they are keeping me a extra 24 hours than we planned. This will allow me to be released and then go to my moms house for phase 2 of my isolation which will last 5-7 days (this is 2nd change a little longer than planned).
I am hoping I will be home for Mothers Day! (But the size of my dose will tell us when I can go home and safely be around the kids) FINGERS CROSSED!!!
So that's it! Today I ran around and got some good deals shopping and stocked up the freezer (not that there was much needed of that! THANKS AGAIN! SARAH, DONNA AND NICOLE!!!!)) and the fridge for the guys.
I am also working on a shopping list for LID foods for the diet. I think I will be living on plain popcorn, no salt peanut butter, fruit and veggies (fresh only) and potatoes with no skin for 3 weeks! HA HA!
Boy you don't realize the amount of foods that have salt/iodine in them until you have to look and stay away from them. Gesh. Even then its really impossible to go NO iodine so that's why they only say LOW!
Ok so now your updated. Again sorry for the delay. Once I am home bound and not able to drive (Likely by next week at the latest) I will be posting more often.
Love to all my readers!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment