Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Weekdays With Wyatt!




With all this talk about Nash lately I wanted to do a Wyatt post and update. He has really been very good about Nash's birthday and school starting and all the attention Nash is getting. Its hard for him to understand why he is older but his birthday is *after* Nash's in his eyes. But for the most part he is being very patient and tolerant of everything. I think part of this has to do with our new Mommy and Wyatt time. While Nash is at school 2 days a week, Wyatt and I get to have a few hours just us. This week we enjoyed some time at a coffee shop having donuts and chocolate milk. He was in heaven!

Wyatt now also can focus one morning a week on his own Speech sessions at CTC while Nash is at school. Some funny things I am seeing that just started with him in the last few weeks and another that has always been around but now I am just a little more aware of it. The new *thing* he has started this week is sucking on his shirt, sleeve, collar you name it. He Normally does this when he is excited or nervous. Also he is unable to sit still. This has always been the case but never more so apparent than when he is asked to sit in a chair for like school or speech. At his speech session recently she even gave him a wiggle seat for his chair. I had never seen such a thing. But there he is working on speech and trying to focus better when he is on one.

Now that Nash is getting settled in school, I am turning my focus to Wyatts new sensory needs. He is on a wait list for OT and I made an appointment with CTC to do an evaluation and sensory profile at the end of November and get some insight on how to meet Wyatts new sensory needs. He has the complete opposite needs in all areas than his Brother. Nash fills his mouth too full and loves foods with TONS of flavor. Wyatt has only a FEW foods he will eat and takes small bites. Wyatt however will seek out other oral sensations such as licking, chewing objects and sucking like on his clothes now.

I have started a few things, but am always looking for tips, ticks and advice so if you have any please feel free to post a comment or even email me at KJordan714@gmail.com

I picked up some of those bowls with the straws in them for breakfast, so its a bowl to eat cereal and a straw to suck the milk out (oral input) to start off our day. Wyatt loves this, but its just a small start to much needed sensory needs in this area.

I am heading to the library today to pick up some new reading material maybe see if I can get some information also there. Speaking of the library, James and I read a book "Why Does Izzy Cover Her Ears? Dealing with Sensory Overload. Dealing with sensory overload" by Jennifer Veenendall. A cute book that explains a lot, its really a wordy book....in Kristen language means its a lot for little kids to take in. But a good book to put things in a simple perspective for children and even adults.

1 comment:

Ludicrous Mama said...

I read about a family with a fidgety husband and child, so they got swivel chairs for them for the dinner table. Then the family was able to stay and sit together longer!
You might find some soft washcloths, and pin one to his shirt to suck on. Easy to wash, easy to replace, and less wear on his clothes! As he progresses and needs it less, it can move to a pocket, then not at all.
He might do well with (sugar-free) chewing gum, or those nasty little wax liquid-filled candies. He could chew on the way to school, then spit out before school, start again on the ride home, and in other situations where it's acceptable. As a bonus, sugar-free gum is great for cleaning teeth after meals, and keeping the mouth moist, staving off some forms of bad breath!

I don't have SPD, but I remember having a teething toy in the freezer that I'd take out after school sometimes and suck/chew on. I must have been at least 7, maybe 10 or older! It was after one of my younger 2 siblings was done with it! I still have mild oral fixations. I love to snack when I'm watching TV. My tummy could be stuffed full, and still I crave crunchy snacks in my mouth! Chewing gum and hard candies don't do it for me.