Monday, October 4, 2010

Get On The Mommy Bus!

With Nash's first day of school bumped a week out, I am taking a proactive approach to the coming week and how Nash will cope (or not) with not going to school for another week. I decide to help him understand how many more days are left until he can go to school with a countdown chart. I also anticipating using this chart over the holidays on breaks from school and maybe even the first few weekends so he has a visual aid to be able to see when he goes back to school.

So the basic premise is like a game and countdown (or to) mixed together. The chart has numbers/days 1=16 (which I figure is the max amount he will be out of school, if more I will cross that bridge when I get to it) and then at the end a picture of his school. Velcro on the number boxes and dots to count to help learn our numbers while we are at it.

A bus with velcro on it will be moved every morning like so, I thought about doing the numbers backwards so we can then say like in this case "ok 5 more days until school" but that would get confusing I think for a 3 year old so we can just count the squares and say 1,2,3,4,5 more days till school!)

In this case there are 7 days until Nash goes to school so I made "roads" with Velcro on the back to cover up the *extra* spaces and he goes RIGHT TO SCHOOL after 7. I will add or subtract road based on how many days we are counting down to.


Now Nash may get very very ridged on me and say this is a bus at school and we take the van (Mommy Bus we call it) but in that case I will be honest. Its not as fun to move a Dodge Grand Caravan around the board now is it ;)

Update: Nash loved it, we will refer to it and *play* with it when he starts to have a hard time later this morning. Usually after we get back from dropping Wyatt off at school is when its the hardest. He did mentioned more bus's so I think he wants ANOTHER one to put on tomorrow....may do that so he has a bus to cover each day as we GO on *road* to school. We will see if he mentions it again, if he does it just tells me he visually wants to see all the days covered with a bus to get to school so thats fine with me a little more work but his brain is working to try and understand it. :) YAY!

~ Kristen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what a great idea! You are so organized. What a great visual for him.