Thursday, October 14, 2010

Nash's First Week of School!


Nash's first week at his new school has just wrapped up. We have prepared for the start of school for a few weeks, month even and I cant believe we are done with the first week already. Monday I arranged for my oldest son to go to work with my husband for a hour so I could take Nash alone to school and focus on drop off and stay a little longer than normal to help get him settled. The photo to the left was taken his first day. Look at that smile! He was very excited. He kept that great spirit up until we got to school, I was very proud of how brave he was. We got to the school and went in and found his new cubbie and placed his backpack and coat in it. I took him to the rest room. I wasn't sure how well he was going to do *asking* for help those first few days. So no matter what I make sure he uses the rest room first thing when we get to school. There are a total of 5-6 teachers in the room at any given time, sometimes more if the speech and OT therapists are there. That was a little overwhelming at first he only had met and started to get to know one of them. She came over with another teacher and introduced her and some children in the class. He hid right behind me and I had to coax him into the room little by little. The teacher made it clear I could stay all day if I wanted or leave whenever I wanted/needed whatever made us most comfortable. That was nice to know. I had arranged however to go to my husbands work however within 45 minutes of when I dropped Nash off to take him to his school. This was a huge blessing, It allowed me time to stay a little while and still have a reason to leave. (I could of stayed all day I was a mess, but I kept it together for Nash)

They have a small routine when the children come to class and the first day we showed Nash but he wanted nothing to do with it. There is an open play time after that small arrival routine and he noticed right away a toy he wanted to play with. The teacher who we had just met Miss S. We'll call her came over and started playing with Nash and he was very involved with this toy. I gave Nash notice that I was going to be leaving to get his brother and I would be back when school was over. I gave him hugs and waited a little longer and headed out the door. As I was leaving I thought for sure I heard him cry and I lost it. I got to the car and just sobbed. I had held it all together for him and I couldn't do it any longer. I called someone I knew would understand, my Mom. I went to get our oldest son and dropped him off at his school a half hour later. I then had a little over a hour and a half until I had to pick up Nash. I stopped for a much deserved ;) coffee and headed home. I walked in the door and just took it all in. I was home alone. This hasn't happened very many times in the past 5 years. Its a weird feeling knowing that the kids are not with me....and not with my husband.

I headed out early to pick up Nash and sat outside his school watching the clock in my car. I finaly headed in and the teachers greeted me with a huge smile. "He did great!" one said. I was then joined by Miss S and she said "Nash was of course a little quiet but he did so well. You couldn't really tell it was his first day. He is so smart and picked up on everything fast" I was so happy. I asked her if he cried and she said no. I learned later another student was upset and thats who I had heard crying. Nash was so into his project he was working on in class that he had not even know I had come in. After he was done and had noticed me he gave me the cold shoulder at first. I can only imagine this is his "hmmm you left me here....but you came back!" and this lasted until we got to the car and then he was very chatty and talkative. His first day was over and we couldn't of be prouder.

The rest of the week went great, every day doing one more step in his arrival routine until today when he did each and every step without hesitation. He even gave me hugs and waved today as I left which is nice. I really hated sneaking out, it broke my heart but I knew it was what I needed to do.

Every day I pick him up and he tells me about class. I get a written report from his teachers also. Its only been a week, but even my husband is just so exited about the changes we are seeing in Nash. He is speaking and using his words a lot. He is being clear and precise and talking about school. One thing that is a little hard for me is his new found independence. I cant take it personally but its hard to not feel needed as much as before. That is compleetly a Mommy thing I assume is only typical and will get worse before it gets better (on my end, surely not Nash's he is doing great!)

Nash has no school Fridays and I have a feeling that transition to Friday and the weekend may be hard for him. He is very ridged and needs that routine and for the first week or two Fridays will bring a break in his routine when we dont go to school. I am using the calendar to show how many more days until school. I am even thinking of modifying it as we come up with some new ideas that may work better.

We cant wait for what the year will bring for Nash and the family. Having both boys in school now has changed not only our schedule and day to day lives but the dynamic of the house a little. Its hard to explain but everyone's trying to find there sea legs again. I expect that within a few weeks we will have worked out any kinks and fallen into a routine. More updates to come :)

~ Kristen

1 comment:

Ludicrous Mama said...

Ha! It's funny, that independence! Here I am, WISHING my child could happily go off to school without me, instead of crying the whole time. But I *KNOW* I'll be the one in the car crying the day she does!