Here are some great links for more information about Picture Schedules. Remember, they are not just for children with special needs, children thrive on routine schedules and transitions. There just has to be a fine line (as we have learned with Nash) between a schedule thats to ridged and one thats flexible and teaches a child both routine and flexibility.
Picture Schedule Samples
Making Chore Charts For Children
How To Make A Picture Schedule For Your Autistic Child
So here is our family's binder that has sticky back Velcro on the front to place the tasks. First row is what needs to be done, second row is where it goes when its DONE and the small velcros on the bottom are for rewards or "Surprises"
Inside are pages with more Velcro on them holding the pictures. I assess what I need Nash to do and then set up the front before then sharing with him that its time to clean up or whatever task I have at hand.
Here I am asking Nash to pick up Blocks and Books! Nash can not do more than one thing at a time and his Motor Planning is just not there yet to do/process things on his own. So I ask him "Ok its time to clean up, whats first" and I point to the blocks. Off he goes to get every block he can find.
As soon as he is done he comes back and pulls off the BLOCKS pic and moves it down to the "All Done" line (I am going to get a picture of the sign for this line as they know what it looks like and means) If for some reason he has become distracted and the task is not complete I gently remind him we are cleaning up BLOCKS and direct him to the area with the blocks to finish before we move the picture down.
All the tasks are done so its time for the "reward" and in MOST cases the reward is what we are doing next. I need him to clean up because we are going to the store and he can pick out his own donut or in this case its just snack time and he can pick out the movie today. So he is happily telling me he has finished his tasks and is ready for Snack! :)
A funny story about our picture board. We have only been using it for "Clean Up" for a few short weeks now and its working great.....too great. Nash is very literal. I placed the picture of trucks and cars on the board and he did great, picked up trucks and cars and came back to move it to the "all done" line and I stopped and pointed to a pile of vehicles in the middle of the living room, he then said "Trains....this cars....trucks" and he points to the photo. Indeed he was right....I was only asking him to pick up cars and trucks. So there sat every Train....I need to make a picture of trains or I may be cleaning them up for weeks to come ;)
Now dont get me wrong he will clean up the trains when I ask, but its not a easy task. Sometimes I have to physically take his hands and touch them to the trains and then ask him. Just asking him to clean up the trains is overwhelming and he cant see the task I am *asking* him to do. He cant see the end finish line and literally needs that finish line. Asking him to pick up toys is a long drawn out process, using the picture board has given him a visual task and the reward of the all done and a reward at the end of the series of tasks. It has also allowed him to be more independent, I can show him his task and then walk away to do my own while he is off doing his. Our goal is for me to be able to say "Ok its time to clean up" and he would then go to his board and start the process on his own. :)
One more thing I wanted to share, "What is Sensory Processing Disorder?" at HartleysBoys.Com a great post about SPD.
~ Kristen
1 comment:
That is a great idea, and a great tool for ALL young children. I read somewhere that they can't sequence until 3 or 4, so like, if you read Little Red Riding Hood to them every night, they KNOW the story, and can tell you the whole thing, BUT NOT IN ORDER! Even with the book in front of them, if they are in charge, they will flip all over the place and tell you the story as they go.
Socks first, then shoes seems like such a SIMPLE concept, but they just aren't capable of thinking like that until a certain age. (There was a really good movie exemplifying an adult with brain damage who couldn't sequence... I think it was called The Lookout.)
Anyway, for stuff like potty training, bedtime rituals, even what they can and cannot do if they wake up in the middle of the night, having a chart with pictures (especially photos of THEM demonstrating each step) can really help! 1st picture: potty. 2nd picture: pants down. 3rd pic: sitting on potty. 4th pic: toilet paper (or flushable wipes. Whatever you use.) 5th pic: FLUSH. 6th pic: wash hands! (You can even have a different chart at the sink, showing turn water on, get hands wet, ONE PUMP ONLY of soap, scrub together (if they know a song, like ABCs or Twinkle Twinkle or Happy Birthday, anything that lasts 30 seconds, you can use some image to remind them to sing that song and wash for that long.)Rinse hands, turn off water.)
For nighttime wake-ups, have a picture of the potty, a picture of their water on the nightstand (or wherever,) a picture of the snack they can get themselves (or is in their rooms for them in case they are hungry,) etc. If you have a clock or light or something to indicate when they can wake you up, have a picture reminding of that as well. Then a picture of them lying in bed!
Post a Comment