
I am a HUGE advocate for ME time. This is one of those things you have to practice what you preach (Gladly!!). I don't get a lot of it, but I really try to get a *little* every day and when I can squeeze in more I try not to think about it and just do it. While I make it sound easy, its actually very hard for me to do. I am a "put everyone first" type of person, in all ways. My kids, house and family come first. My commitments like clubs, organizations, friends and what not then come a close second. I love being busy and this can easily hinder my "ME" time. Its taken me a while to really think about the bigger picture. I think actually dealing with the Cancer back in 2008 and everything since then has put it into a easier perspective for me. I think back to the old saying "If Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy" and its so true. My family I know feeds off of my mood and energy. If I am tired an mope around on the couch I can usually find most of the family (even our family pets) slouching on the couch with me, dont get me wrong days like this are sometimes the perfect dose of ME time, but cant live on the couch for long with toddlers. If I am up and ready to go, I can usually see my energy come through in the kids too.
OK, so we know we need to find time but its easier said than done right?! I am very lucky to have a husband who knows the benefits of me having some time to myself even if just for a few minutes. Between the hours of 8-9pm almost every-night I get some ME time. James gives the kids a bath every night and I decompress and take a little of that time to just relax. I can most of the time be found doing something else around the house (see as you may know this is hard, when we find ME time we can also see the FREE time in that and find things all over to do first) but more and more I try to make sure I use this time for ME. There is a difference between FREE time and ME time. Make sure you know that and your making some ME time on top of your FREE time ;)
I am also very lucky to be part of a fabulous local support group for Stay At Home MOMS. MOMS Club of Kent "Moms Offering Moms Support" is a chapter affiliated with the
International MOMS Club® non-profit Organization. We have a packed calendar of activities for MOMS and their children every week. I also serve on the board, I am just starting my second term with the club. I love it, I love the friends I have made, the friends my children have made and I also know this type of position will help when it comes to my resume when I go back out to work outside the home when the kids go to school full time. MOMS Club of Kent, offers a Monthly Moms Night Out, and I usually try to make sure I can attend these every so often. I also make sure to let members and friends know how important these events are to keeping up with our ME time.
I'm not oblivious to the fact that I am very lucky to be able to find ME time daily (or almost daily) I know that not everyone has the same situation. Everyone's life is different, we all have different challenges in our lives. Not matter what your life holds you need to think of the little ways to find some time. Quiet time in the morning while the kids have breakfast...they have to eat sometime ;) which means there are a few moments of silence while they chew. (I am typing this now while my kiddos eat!) to an afternoon nap or quiet time?! Even for older children who dont nap anymore, bring back the 1 hour quiet time. A special box of quiet activities that ONLY come out during that one hour a day (Books, puzzles, hand-held game system, special movie or show...ect...) and let everyone know there is one hour of quiet time. Give them the time it will end and what they can do during that time. What the CANT do during that time, and then make it part of your routine daily or every other day. Now that my children are almost 3 and 5, I miss more than ever the "free" (because it wasn't always ME time) I had during naps. Looking back I would of made a lot more of it ME time instead of free time.
No matter what you do, how long you do it for, just remember to take a few minutes each day for yourself. You will be surprised at the motivation it will give you the rest of your day or even week (I have been known to sit in the bathroom with the lights off and just BREATH for my ME time) What kind of YOU time do you take? Be honest with yourself, do you take "ME" time or FREE time? :)
~ Kristen
No comments:
Post a Comment