Relay was (as always) a great experience. A few bumps in the road but couldn't keep me from celebrating another year cancer free with my friends and family. We had a great tent, great friends who helped set up and support this great cause. Raised a lot of money for The American Cancer Society and overall had a great time and had gorgeous weather. Before I left for Relay Nash my youngest got sick (this following after my oldest last week had Tonsillitis) didn't think to much of it sometimes the sun and heat gets to him. I left him in capable arms of his father and headed out to Relay. They came down to join in the fun a few hours later but it was clear he was not doing any better and in fact had started to get worse. So they headed home and I pushed on through the night. I walked 9 1/2 miles respectively met some great new friends and just had a blast. Stayed up all night and I left earlier than I had planned the next day to head home to the boys. Nash was worse at this point and I spent the next 24 hours taking care of him.
By Sunday afternoon I had only slept 4 hours since Thursday. We headed to the ER as he had gotten worse and I was was on my own Relay with Nash and it was kicking my butt. I treated it like I do everything else when things get tough....just like at Relay for Life in those tough hours walking the field I just push through because nothing going on right now in my life is nearly as tough as fighting cancer. Now dont get me wrong, I dont say this to diminish anything I do on a day to day basis like this, its hard work and I recognize that. I just also tell myself you can do this because you fought cancer and have been through worse. I push through the sleep deprived pain, find a good place to cry it out and then get back up and start again. Its been a long emotional roller coaster of a weekend but like everything it will get better. I love being a Mom I wouldn't change it for anything in the world. I love being the first to get up and the last to go to bed at night. Its who I am, who I was meant to be.
Nash is starting to feel better, we have a day or two ahead of getting him back on solid foods its going to be a slow process and getting him rehydrate. As you can see we have some good help keeping an eye on him :)


2 comments:
Kristen, you amaze me! I'm SO glad you were able to do most the RFL and also that you were able to be there for Nash. How you're able to function, even a little, on 4 hours of sleep I'll never understand! I mean, I guess we do what we have to, eh? :)
You're such an amazing Mama.
I wish I could've been at the Relay this year, but as I said, we'll be in town next year and I'm there :)
I hope hubby did all the driving! I woke up in my driveway with no memory of arriving home after!
**I'm also super glad that my kid hates people, so she didn't play with him or even talk to him and catch it. Every cloud has a silver lining, I guess.
Post a Comment