Monday, June 20, 2011

Mommy Mental Note: Schools Out For Summer...NOT Forever.


My 3 and a half year old is very (sometimes to much) clear and precise when it comes to how he talks and explains things, he will be as accurate as he can be. Sometimes he may not even know how to be accurate about a subject but he will come as close as he can to being 100% right on about something.....anything. So for example if he wants to talk about how long until something, however he hasn't grasped the concept of days, weeks months quite yet. He is only 3 and a half after all. He will say "Not tomorrow, or the next day, or next, next next next next...." and he will go until he is relatively close to each next = day, and to the day he is talking about (ie 7 days, or say 14 days will turn into roughly 14 "Nexts".... yes lucky me) I am trying to work on him using the number in this case INSTEAD of the dramatics but hey baby steps. But anyways thats just one ways he is very precise and also literal is another word, but very immaturely so because he lacks the grasp on that particular subject. However when it comes to a subject he knows about, he is all about being literal.

So the past few weeks we have been talking about the end of school and start of summer. Wyatt finished school back in May for the year, and Nash had until June 16th for his school. So when it arrived we made a fun morning of it he was very excited. Its the last day of school, off he went. It was the "BEST DAY EVER!" (see video of Nash before we headed to school that morning.) I arrived to pick him up and didn't make a huge deal about asking if he wanted to give his teachers hugs, one teacher asked but didnt push when he said know, he was going to see them all in the fall. Plus he is not THERE yet socially so we said goodbye and he was so proud and happy and waved as he walked away (his "have to socialize wave"...the wave where he doesn't look back, thats his typical wave lol luckily they are used to it) We got to the door and I said see you next year and Nash gave me a "look" which now looking back at it I understand, but I scooted him on and we got to the car and I said "Boys wave to the school, last day of school! See you in September School!" and that was it the conversation got serious and went like this....

Nash    "Why did you say that?"
Me    "Say what?"
Nash    "See you next year?"
Me    "Because school a new school year starts in September"
Nash    "Its the last day of school"
Me    (Starting to catch on now) "Yes and now its summer, then after summer we come back to school"
Nash    "But you said its the last day of school...its NOT the last day if I have to go back in September"
Me    "Actually yes your right, I am sorry"
Nash   "But you said its the last day of school"

A long car ride home with a lecture from my 3 year old about my choice in wording followed. I explained best I could and assured him I would choose better words next time.He wasn't UPSET which is good, I want him to be excited to go to school in the fall. But he wasn't thrilled and so just another learning experience for good old Mom I guess.

As he gets older and starts to understand things and grasp words and things better I am seeing him become more and more literal. Looking back he always has had this tendency but on a smaller level, like with his Thomas the train obsession (which has subsided a little more about that later in the week)  he would be very precise and literal about the names of the trains, the colors and what not. As he grows up his talking to people and explaining things to us day to day are the same way. Right now its really cute and funny because it mixes with his age, young and not quiet yet able to grasp some of the things he so desperately wants to but if this continues in the future as it very well could its going to be another thing we will just have to learn to work on together as a family.

Tips, tricks, ideas? Stories to share, please comment below :) I love hearing from other families who have gone through the same thing so we can help each other :)

No comments: