
2 Years ago today I got my first notice of being officially "Cancer Free" and it was a simple letter I received in the mail December 16th, after a round of tests following treatment for Thyroid Cancer. I was diagnosed February 27th 2008. From there it was a roller coaster of more tests, surgery (total thyroid removal)and , going off medicatons compleetly and my body going into a Hypothyroid state to prep for treatment (Radio Active Iodine) then a long recovery from a mix of things that came around due to being hypothyroid especially.
In many ways its been a long 2 years, but it does feel like just yesterday that I got that call from my doctor with the diagnosis, and then just 10 months later was done and cancer free. Very few days go by that I dont think about it, think about how so many (not only my own) lives changed on that day. So many family, friends supporting us in so many ways. It was a time in my life I will never forget, I am forever touched by everything that has happened to me and I truly believe it has all been for a reason. I am more passionate than ever about cancer research of all kinds,and that the focus must be spread between so many (to many) types of cancers. I know to many people who's lives have been touched by Cancer. Be it by there own diagnosis, a friends, or family members. I know to many mothers who have children...of all ages fighting cancer. Children.....Children with cancer of all types.....I have no words. There bravery brings me to tears and I think of them often.
Now of days my only struggles (which I am thankful for daily) are with my medication and weight which go hand in hand in many ways. I had a great stretch of about 9 months feeling great and physically getting back on track. I lost 55lbs and my medication swung to the other side, causing me to go from the sluggish Hypo Hell as we call it to Hyperthyroid which was a whole new world for me. Dealing with easier weight loss even faster than I planned, hard time sleeping at night, anxiety, my hair started thinning much faster, and the scariest one was heart palpitations. My energy level was at it highest but at the cost of all that it wasnt worth it, I had my levels checked in October and sure enough I had gone Hyper and so we lowered my Synthetic Thyroid medication I take daily (and will for the rest of my life). Unfortunately at the same time I got very sick (not related we dont think) and I was sick for about 6 weeks, I was weak, lost muscle strength and any energy I had was gone. Even once I wasn't *SICK* and coughing anymore I was still weak and tired from being sick for so long. I started to gain the weigh back and then rounding (no pun intended ;) out the cycle now I am on to little of medication and patiently waiting for a recheck in January to tell me what I already know that I need more medication. But that is by far an easier road than many have endured and as the old saying says...this too shall pass.
I love my "cancer free birthday", any reason to celebrate another day, week...year with my family is a good thing, even if I have another cold, I'll take it with no complaints.
Learn more about Thyroid Cancer by clicking here, learn more about Papillary thyroid cancer which is the type I had by clicking here and then check out American Cancer Society at www.cancer.org and get involved!
No comments:
Post a Comment