Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Fathers Day!



This year I had every intention of coming and writing a glowing report of my husbands Fathers Day. However it wasn't a glowing day, not from lack of trying though. I am sure if you ask my husband (James) he will be kind and sweet and say it was wonderful and what not. That's James!

It started with a early wake up from some sick kiddos, we all have been passing around a bug of some sort and the boys had a ear infections. We had a rough few nights this weekend so sleep was hard to come by. I had signed up for a 5k earlier in the month, and it was Fathers Day morning. I talked to my husband about it, I would only be gone for a hour or two and the plan was for him and the boys to be at the finish line when I finished. We could even play in the park after and have a picnic lunch what a perfect day! However last minute POURING rain came in and with the boys being sick the plan was changed for James to stay home with the boys and I would return home shortly after 11 and we would continue our Fathers Day Celebration. So the morning kicked off with gifts you know the kind, the kids made home made things and beamed from ear to ear giving them to him. I made a early breakfast instead of letting James sleep in. I headed out the door to my first 5k and well to make a long story short(er) didn't end up event starting the race....but thats another post. So I called James and my smart plan was to get James and the kids who are now climbing the walls from being stuck in the house on a rainy day weekend to meet me at Walmart and we could let the kids RUN and get *some* energy out. I should of known it wasn't a good idea the moment I called James to see if he had left the house yet and Nash was in tears because apparently he was in the van had forgotten a certain "car" he wanted to bring with. Dad tried his best to break the Nash code and figure out which car he wanted and after awhile brought a handful of *other* cars along for the ride and headed out anyways much to Nash's dismay.

So I met up with my boys at Walmart and we headed in and the boys enjoyed a good run down the aisle. Luckily it was pretty quiet morning and not to many people in the store so the boys could run in and out of the racks and be crazy kids which I normally try to curb a little.....this day not so much! RUN KIDS RUN! We even ran into my Aunt and the boys were thrilled about that. Somewhere along the aisles leading to toys I promised the boys they could pick out a small toy. Wyatt thought it was cool they got to pick out a toy on "Fathers Day!" when Dad should be picking out a toy. Nash was still a little upset about leaving the car at home. So the sucker I am wanted to let him pick out a new one. So we get into the toy aisle and the boys run around and Wyatt picked out a small motorcycle instead of a car and Nash goes to pick out a car and starts to waiver.....uhoh. Nash recently has had a very hard time with choices. Given the choice between lets say Thomas and Cars, he will get distraught like your asking him to pick one forever and NEVER look back at the other....so while we used to give many choices, we dont right now and hope this will pass like some other things he has had a hard time with. So he started to get upset, now he didn't want a car he wanted a Train (Thomas The Train) but what one? This brought on even more tears and he then went back to the *Cars* Cars and picked one out, and off we went. We should of known it was to easy. I was walking ahead with Wyatt and hear screaming from behind me and I look back to see Nash is a mess on the floor yelling for James to put back the car. So James put it back and Nash screamed again "Nooooooo CAR!!!!!!!" This wasn't going to end well.

Poor James carried a screaming Nash at this point who was to far "gone" to bring back even with one Thomas toy and one car toy (not that we would have gotten him both, but at this point he wouldn't of been able to even make that choice had it been an option) Nash didn't want carried, but wouldn't walk and fell to the floor screaming each time James gave into his request to put him down. I am sure you have seen a child throw a tantrum in a store before, but if you where to watch Nash at this point he is not having a tantrum really he is honestly upset and in pain about something. Really it usually is never about what it seams, he could be upset and sad because he cant fathom picking, he doesn't even want them all he just cant make a choice or sometimes (as we learned later on) its not event about what it seams. We have gotten used to the looks, and whispering. Luckily these types of days are now few and far between. So with one look from me, James new it was time and he scooped up our 2 year old and carried him carefully (at this point Nash will throw himself out of our arms and has nearly done so in the past) out to the car. Wyatt pointed out as he took my hand and we walked to the check out that he was being good. Gotta love that 4 year old, taking any chance to point out it wasn't him this time.

Wyatt and I purchase his motorcycle and the Car Nash insisted we put back, *I* couldn't (I know, I know) bear getting out to the car and Wyatt having his to play with and Nash not having his. Not that it would matter, when we got out to the car Nash was still in a rage. I helped James get him buckled in, sometimes it takes 2 of us. Thankful he was with us. Nash is 2 and only 37 lbs but strong, especially when he is upset like this. Wyatt gets in the car reluctantly. He asks me to turn on the radio so he wont have to hear Nash cry, yell and scream. :( I wish at this moment I had ordered his headphones already that we are going to introduce him to use in situations he needs to block out the noise he doesn't like. Nash gets a glimpse of the bag with the purchase I made for him of the car and starts to scream "Put it back, NO NO NO put it back!!!!!!!" this was our car ride home. Nash screaming it over and over again. I even tried to hide it in the front seat but he *knew* it was there. I could only smile to James and say "Happy Fathers Day" he laughed and hung in there, he was really the only one in a good mood that morning. Bless his heart for spending HIS day letting me go on a 5k walk and then him carrying around a screaming inconsolable toddler.

We arrived home and Nash had mellowed out of sheer exhaustion and was just muttering "no put it back no" as tears still rolled down his cheeks. We walked in the door and Nash went right to a bucket of blocks and started to cry harder and point and yell for his car. James looked at me and walked over to the bucket of blocks, dumped it out and out flew one loan car with the 2 dozen or so blocks. Nash grabbed THE car and looked at James and said "Thank You Daddy!!!" tears dried up and he went and sat down and played with his car not a peep from him after that. Dad had saved the day!

~ Kristen

2 comments:

Floortime Lite Mama said...

That really is a great Dad
Maybe you can give him a Fathers day some other day
I had to do that a couple of years ago when R mewled through the specal Father's day lunch at DH's favorite BBQ

Heather said...

Nothing like children to remind us on Mother's Day or Father's Day that we really are parents! Glad dad was able to save the day:)