Friday, March 13, 2009

New Endo and New Outlook!!!

I am so excited after my appointment tonight with my new Endocrinologist. Lets see if I can type everything I want up, my hands are bothering me tonight.

First is the fact that the clinic is a specialty clinic with many in the area each with there own specialty, this one diabetes and thyroid issues so that's nice to know the whole things really just what I need and nothing I dont!!! :) Its only 10 minutes away in Renton, which is nice the drive to Seattle was nice some days but costly and parking had to be paid out and sometimes my drive was 3x longer than my actual visit. Frustrating. So thins place being closer is nice!! :)

Ok so the Dr I am seeing is a woman which is nice to be able to talk to a woman about everything however it in the end doesn't matter to me as long as long as I feel like I am being heard and we are all on the same page.

I went into this appointment with needs I new I needed to see fulfilled with my health care but I didn't want to act like a know it all patient so I really sat back after explaining my history and listened to her views on Thyroid Issues and were she really wanted to take me with my care. I didnt want to guide the conversation but found out I didnt need to, we were on the same page 99.9% and really I was so comfortable a hour later we had a great plan for some changes. (Yes she told the front desk to schedule me for a whole hour visit!!!) It was so nice.

Simply put we are going to see how dropping my levels (monitored via bloodwork) from 1.84 to 1.0! Its a relatively new way of thinking about caring for those with thyroid issues and it should hopefully allow me back a little normalcy and then allow myself to do the rest naturally threw diet and exercise! We are also changing me from a generic medication to the real deal in hopes my body responds better to it. She even gave me two months of samples so if it does work she can then give me a RX but at least I am not out any money until we see if this is a little more on the right track or not.

We are going to schedule my WBS (Whole Body Scan, which is done yearly, this is my first YEAR one since my Dx and treatment)for the end of May and normally they do have you go off your medication especially for your first follow up. However I had such a bad reaction to going completely Hypothyroid we are possibly going to do a shot which will allow me to stay on my meds and do the scan, while not as accurate as doing it off medication she mentioned we can always go back and do another scan if my blood work that I do in the next year shows any re-occurrence. She said with my age on our side as a low risk factor, the fact we caught it so early and removed the whole Thyroid and did RAI treatment already and my blood work has not showed any re-occurrence this is why she will consider doing the shot now which is normally done on following years after your first clean scan (off your meds)!

I hope I explained it right. I think if she really felt (and I told her this) that she wanted me to go Hypo and off my meds for this scan I would. I wouldn't take any risks if she thought I should be doing a clean scan off my meds. But I have to think of my family to, I would need child care I was unable after some time off my meds to take care of the kids and I really felt like I was going to die, I know that sounds dramatic but that was by far the hardest part of all this, even harder than the surgery itself and the swallowing of a radioactive pill ;) So we will make that final choice in April about the May scan.

They took blood and I will have the results back on Monday (Not weeks like my old Drs office!!!) and then should get the go ahead to start 200 on the Thyroid medication (I am currently at 175) I am also going to go by to taking it in the morning. It might be effecting my sleep, hard to tell with Nash teething and me being up already but better to change that now than later.

Theres lots more but that's the most important part, she going to work with me AND my family dr to get me feeling better. That was refreshing considering I felt like just a number at my old doctor! :)

Over all I am extremely excited about this new doctor and feel in very good about our plans.

No comments: