Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Medical Update! Rheuma Appointment and Endo Test Results. You dont want to miss this!!!!! :)

First the lingo....

Rhuma= Rheumatologist or Rheumatology
A rheumatologist is an internist who is qualified by additional training and experience in the diagnosis and treatment of arthritis and other diseases of the joints, muscles and bones.

Endo=
Endocrinologist or Endocrinology
What is an endocrinologist?
An endocrinologist is a specially trained doctor. Endocrinologists diagnose diseases that affect your glands. They know how to treat conditions that are often complex and involve many systems within your body.

I saw my new Rheumatologist today, she was really nice and she did alot of physical test and then took blood for a retest of my ANA (antinuclear antibody) to see what kinda of more details they can get. We have to wait for that and it can take 3-4 weeks to get back its a pretty detailed blood test. But she thinks the issues with my Salivary Glands which is causing my dry mouth, liver tests all wonky (waiting to have them redone) fatigue, and other things I have had but never attributed to anything...chronic cough, and dental problems are possibly associated with Sjogren's Syndrome. We are waiting the blood test to possibly confirm this....we will see.

More info on Sjogren's Syndrome:

www.sjogrens.org

Sjögren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease in which the body's immune system mistakenly attacks its own moisture producing glands. Sjögren's is one of the most prevalent autoimmune disorders, striking as many as 4,000,000 Americans. Nine out of ten patients are women. The average age of onset is late 40s although Sjögren's occurs in all age groups in both women and men.

About 50% of the time Sjögren's syndrome occurs alone, and 50% of the time it occurs in the presence of another connective tissue disease. The four most common diagnoses that co-exist with Sjögren's syndrome are Rheumatoid Arthritis, Systemic Lupus, Systemic Sclerosis (scleroderma) and Polymyositis/Dermatomyositis. Sometimes researchers refer to the first type as "Primary Sjögren's" and the second as "Secondary Sjögren's." All instances of Sjögren's syndrome are systemic, affecting the entire body.

The hallmark symptoms are dry eyes and dry mouth. Sjögren's may also cause dryness of other organs, affecting the kidneys, GI tract, blood vessels, lung, liver, pancreas, and the central nervous system. Many patients experience debilitating fatigue and joint pain. Symptoms can plateau, worsen, or go into remission. While some people experience mild symptoms, others suffer debilitating symptoms that greatly impair their quality of life.


as for the numbness and joint problems outside of the possible Sjogrens Symdrome, she feels maybe its Thoracic Outlet which is causing a pinching of the nerves in my neck/shoulders and thus causing and inflaming a issue of Arthritis already there. I have to wait and get more info on that when we meet next. In the mean time I am going to look into Water Therapy to help loosen the muscles and nerves in my shoulders and neck.

On the Endo side I got a note from my dr. My TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) is slightly elevated which means i am still a little Hypothyroid, but a small medication change and repeat of that test will likely help that.

The best news so far is that my first Tg test (Thyroglobulin) test came back showing NO SIGN OF RECURRENT THYROID CANCER!!! YAY!!! So as of right now I am officially CANCER FREE!!! This test will be re done every 6 months for a another year and then yearly for the rest of my life to make sure I stay that way. I will still have to have a WBS (whole body scan) done in February, but if that goes well and my Tg level stays the same I am wont be looking at anymore RAI treatment!!! :)

While I might have lots of little issues of not feeling well and still working out whats all going on with those things, its that little line that said "showing now signs of recurrent thyroid cancer" that just eally hits home. It was almost one year ago (February of 08') that they found the Thyroid Cancer, and now I am free of it.

I truly and thankful for that, that's for sure!!!!!

With Love,

Kristen
Cancer Free!

No comments: